Thursday 4 December 2008

Rant

I have a new day job, well an 'every-other-day job', in a public building. And I love it. OK, its not being at home doing my 'thing', but I enjoy it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm an easy going person and fairly tolerant (although I do get pissed off at constantly being asked if I want a store credit card or would I like to buy the latest soft toy 'only £12 as I've spent 50p' BHS~be warned, ask me again and I'll stuff your teddy).
I'm a sucker for politeness, even from the most uncouth of youths. It costs nothing and I'll usually cut someone a lot of slack, even if they don't necessarily mean it (at least they're making an effort). But was is it today about some of these young people ~ I'm talking about mainly youngsters between the age of 14 and 17 ~ who don't like to be told 'No'?
I had a brush with a young man yesterday who had had more than his allotted time using one of our public facilities but came back again after lunch. I explained that he'd already had over his daily allowance and he would have to come back next time we were open. He tried arguing his point but left fairly resigned.

Ten minutes later he was caught trying to burn the building down.

Of course, it won't be his fault. But don't even get me started down that road.

No comments: